The Church of the Assumption was formally established in 1876 as a mission of St. Mary Church in Norwalk, in a little white, clapboard church built on an acre of land on the Post Road between Ludlow and Wright Streets. It served a growing number of immigrants, first from Ireland and later from Italy, who settled in Saugatuck and in Green’s Farm. In 1899, when the little white church on the hill could no longer accommodate the growing immigrant population, the Assumption parishioners and their pastor, Rev. James P. Ryle, made plans to build a new church at the corner of Burr Road and Riverside Avenue on the Saugatuck River.
On April 22, 1900, our present Church of the Assumption was dedicated in a ceremony touched with sadness. Beloved Father Ryle died just fifteen days prior to the dedication. The first service held in the new church was his funeral mass. According to his wishes, he was laid to rest in the grassy plot near the main entrance of the church.
Over the years the parish continued to grow and flourish under the leadership of wonderful dedicate pastors. Today our Parish continues to foster a warm welcoming spirit.