Dear Assumption Family,
You may have noticed we now have three beautiful additions to our Parish. We have a new Parish Lawn Sign, a new Baptismal Font Cover and, most recently, a first-class relic of Saint Frances Xavier Cabrini. I received many positive feedback for these additions, and some asks explanations to the symbols on the parish sign and baptismal font.
First, our new Parish Lawn Sign. This past January a few parishioners had the wonderful idea for a new Parish Lawn Sign. As you remember, there was an old sign that was located on the front left side of the main entrance of the church that was deteriorating. A local artist created the new sign. It is simple, but elegant. The symbol on top of the sign is an old symbol of the Blessed Virgin Mary. The “A” and the “M” came from the first letter of the “Hail Mary” in Latin (Ave Maria) with a crown above. This symbol is used frequently throughout the centuries and the blue background is the liturgical color of the Blessed Virgin Mary. With its simplicity and elegance, this sign is one humble way to evangelize those in the community. As the words attributed to Saint Francis of Assisi, “Preach if necessary, use Words”.
Second, the new Baptismal Font Cover. The Cover is modeled after the domes of the churches throughout Italy. On the top of the dome is the figure of Saint John the Baptist with the little lamb next to him. It was hand carved by the world-renowned artisans from the Ferdinand Stuflesser Company, located in Northern Italy. Father Tom was instrumental in making this beautiful masterpiece a reality and a wonderful addition to our church. A generous donation from one of our Parishioners made this possible.
Third, we have a first-class relic of Saint Frances Xavier Cabrini. Francesca Saverio Cabrini was born July 15, 1850 in Sant’Angelo Lodigiano, in the Lombard Province of Lodi, at that time part of the Austrian Empire. She founded the Missionary Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Jesus (M.S.C.) in November 1880 and immigrated to America on March 31, 1889 along with six other sisters. She founded many hospitals throughout the United States. Mother Cabrini died on December 22, 1917, was beatified on November 13, 1938 by Pope Pius XI and canonized on July 7, 1946 by the Venerable Servant of God, Pope Pius XII. Jo Ann and Charlie French donated this relic in honor of Sister Helen Stephens, S.S.N.D.